MN Scoreboard

MN Scoreboard

NL Standings

NL Standings

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

MULLIGAN, SMULLIGAN…LET’S MAKE SOME HISTORY

I don't think I have been the only person fretting this game tonight due to the record of the opposing team. The Atlanta Thrashers are 3-8 and are currently hogging the Leafs spot at the bottom of the Eastern Conference barrel. However this team is far superior to what their record indicates, and the fact that they are 3-2 in their last five shows that this team is just starting to catch its stride, and we sure don't want to be caught along the way. It would be easy to take the Thrashers lightly and go down early, loose confidence and tumble down that oh so familiar slippery slope to a loss.

With that said, the all mighty Sponge Bob visited me in a dream last night, as he usually does where we play a round of golf in which the golf balls are mini Maple Leaf player, and the holes are filled with hot boiling oil, and we have a cheering section following us around mainly composed of Angelina Jolie, Heidi Cloom, that chick from Underworld, and Youppi (yeah...that one threw me off too :blink:). In any case he told me if I win this round, the HABS continue their winning streak. In many ways, thanks to the Holy Sponge Bob taking repeated mulligan on Tucker's face, I won by 11 strokes (my lucky # and our Captains jersey #...must be a sign). So the all mighty said this one's in the bag, and I believe him...let me tell you why.

First off Brisebois is back in the line-up, replacing our (currently) only defensive liability Gorges. Furthermore, Jesus Price (a.k.a. the Great Wall of Montreal) will be making his first appearance at the Bell Center, and you can bet you last buck they boys will be extra motivated to give him the win. As far as special teams go, Montreal is ranked first with a 30.4%, which will go against Atlanta’s PK ranked second to last in the league with a 71% efficiency. I like those numbers, especially given the fact that Atlanta is one of the more penalised teams in the league (7th overall) with 62 penalties (6.2 per game). It doesn’t take a genius to figure out there is a high likelihood of 2-3 PP goals in Montreal’s favour tonight…but that’s just the numbers. It could be 0 or it could be 6.

As far as the team’s approach to the game is concerned, I don't believe this locker room is taking the opposition lightly. Several players (mainly vocal leaders in the locker room) have stated publicly on several occasions that the Thrashers are a much better team than what their record indicates, and that since the change behind the bench they are far superior and cohesive on the ice. So the team has their game face on, and that pretty much guarantees the win, because we're at home, we have the final change, and as long as Markov and Komisarek are on the ice, Kovalchuk’s line (incidentally the only real danger) is mute especially with the support of the likes of Smolinski, Chipchura, Dandenault, Kostopoulos and Begin.

I was cautious, timid and somewhat worried coming into this game tonight, however following my round of golf with the all might square pants him self, my mind is at ease. I'm looking forward to this game as yet another historical moment I will be watching live as Price makes his debut at the Bell Center and does it in style with a.......do I dare say......the "s" word!.

No comments: