MN Scoreboard

MN Scoreboard

NL Standings

NL Standings

Monday, November 12, 2007

HAVE TO TWEAK THE STRATEGY

The loss to Ottawa over the weekend was undoubtedly heartbreaking. After a day’s reflection however, it is time to move on and focus on what needs to be done in order to ensure this team remains at the top of the leaderboard and not go on an ever so familiar slide/tumble down the ranks. The Canadiens remain on the bubble, but the good news is we’re still on the fence. We still control our destiny, and we can get back on track with a solid win against Toronto on Tuesday.

I don’t know what the mood is like in the locker room, but if I were player on the Montreal Canadien’s roster, I would have fired in my belly so hot that I would be counting down the minutes until I can get on the ice on Tuesday and hit everything that moves, shoot the puck on Raysoft any chance I get, and work hard on every second of every shift until I got nothing left in my legs.

In retrospect, the performance on Saturday was pretty good and demonstrated that this team possesses all the tools that are necessary to beat any team in the NHL, including the mighty Senators and unbeatable Red Wings. In my humble opinion, the major challenge that remains for this team is the capacity to utilize all its assets, and implement the team strategy that will consistently yield success.

I believe the current system implemented and used by Carbonneau it’s a valid one in utilizes all eighteen skaters on the ice, and has proven itself time and time again, including Saturday afternoon, that it can be used against any team in the NHL and win. My only concern at this point, is the decisions being made in the third period when the team as the lead. I can understand the causes concern to ensure his players are mindful of the neutral zone and don’t give up odd-man rushes, however the way in which this is accomplished cannot be done at the expense of giving up the ice to the opposition and let them work the puck to their will. We have three very competent coaches behind the bench, and it will be up to them to create and implement a new strategy to accomplish what they need without giving up the ice as much as they do.

No comments: